Friday, September 3, 2010

Our Weeping World



Thought for the Day
Psalms 90:10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.


I watched this video today of Fernando Ortega performing "Give Me Jesus" as a tribute to Ruth Graham, and as I did it once again reminded me of the sadness of this world. As I looked at the pictures of Billy and Ruth Graham in their youth it reminded me that the best of lives will one day end in death and it saddened me as I thought of my own mortality. I have often been brought to tears just thinking about the weight of sorrow and suffering that so many endure in this life. If I am not careful it can simply become overwhelming to me. If it were not for my belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ I sometimes think I would be crushed by sadness.

Life is one of the saddest things that can be endured. This must be evident to any person who is willing to face this thought with honesty. We try to find so many things to occupy our mind and heart, but in the end the ultimate reality and sadness of life is death and it awaits us all. That is unless we are resting in the finished work of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! In my moments of overwhelming sadness, I remind myself of the hope of real life in Christ. This is my hope! This is my expectation! And it is my passion for living! I feel sorry for anyone whose life is no more than getting up each day and chasing the next mind numbing fancy that they encounter. In the end there is only one honest reality and that is Jesus Christ! I pray for all my friends that they will truly "rise" in the morning when this shadow we call life fades away into that eternal reality of life in Christ.

Application
Do you truly know Jesus Christ today. Are you sure enough of that relationship to stake your eternity upon it? If not, anything that stands in the way of settling that question is your enemy. Run to the refuge of Christ and cry out "Give me Jesus" alone! If you are a follower of Jesus Christ then realize the message of hope that you possess and be bold in sharing it today.