Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Need A Break

Photo: Julianna's first volleyball match of the year yesterday.

Thought for the Day
Nehemiah 4:23 So neither I, nor my brethren, nor my servants, nor the men of the guard which followed me, none of us put off our clothes, saving that every one put them off for washing.

I think we would all prefer life to be "warm and fuzzy" all the time without any pressure or strain. I know I look for times of ease where I can just kick back and not worry about anything, and although those times are great and refreshing pit stops along the way, those times are not the norm especially when you are busy with work, responsibilities and family.

More times than not we find ourselves like Nehemiah and his workers when they were midway through their building project in Jerusalem. The Bible tells us that they did not even have time to stop and take off their clothes when they needed to rest, only occasionally for washing. Wow, that's pretty busy. Sometimes that is just the way life is. Sometimes you just have to find the inner reserves to get through the day. Fortunately for followers of Christ, we are promised His strength. Jesus said that without Him we can do nothing (John 15:5). As a vine abides in a branch for its sustenance, so we must rest in the abundant supply of our Lord.

I love this old poem I found in a biography several years ago:

Be Strong!
We are not here to play, to dream, to drift;
We have hard work to do, and loads to lift.
Shun not the labor, take it, 'tis God's gift.
Be Strong!

Application
Confess to God today your own weakness and inability. Ask Him to give you the strength to accomplish the tasks of today. Come to him fully aware of your complete reliance on Him, remembering, that He said, "without me, you can do nothing."