Friday, August 6, 2010

Blessed Assurance

Photo: Uncle Al and Aunt Shirley's house in Neptune City, N.J.

Thought for the Day
2 Timothy 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

I am speaking today at my Uncle Al's funeral. He was a bold witness for Christ and very influential in my life. I remember resisting his witness so often as a teen, but those words and lessons were in my heart and in His time God brought me to salvation through many witnesses of the Word.

In this passage, we see the testimony of one who had a firm confidence in His position with God. Paul says, "I know". This a statement of firm assurance. This is the faith my uncle possessed. I believe this kind of firm trust is the result of three things we see in this passage:

1. He was trusting in a Person, not a Pedigree. I know "whom" I have believed...
2. He was trusting in a Relationship, not a Religion. I know whom "I" have believed...
3. He was trusting from the Heart, not the Head. He is able to keep what I have "Committed"...

This is the basis of real faith, a personal real commitment of faith in the person of Jesus Christ! This is the faith my uncle possessed and that the Lord makes available to all who will receive Him.

Application
What are you trusting in today? Is your faith firmly planted in the saving work of Jesus Christ alone? Quit talking about faith in Christ, and started walking your faith in Christ.