Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Gift of Children

Photo: Annabeth (front) , Julianna (right) and a friend. Today is Annabeth's 9th birthday; what a great joy she is to me and our family!

Thought for the day
Psalms 127:3 Lo, children are a heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.

What a contrast the Word of God is to the mentality of our society. As a country we are fast approaching the mark of 50,000,000 abortions since the Roe v. Wade decision by our Supreme Court in the early 70's. The joy and blessing that my children are to me is a daily confirmation of the fact that they are God's reward. Our kids do so much for us. When I look at them, I see me and they remind me of the happy times in my own childhood; their weaknesses remind me of my weaknesses and the need I have to continue to grow in the Lord; when I think of their future, it motivates me to pour myself into them that they might have the greatest potential to live to honor and please the Lord in whatever path they will ultimately follow.

I have received way more out of my kids than I have ever had to put into them. They are a gift, a joy, and a blessing! Thank you, Lord, for rewarding me with children!

Application
Hug your kids today and as you do, let it linger and drink in the joy of having been blessed by the Lord with them. If you don't have children of your own, come along side a family that does and be a blessing to them as they prepare their gifts for life.